Sunday, January 22, 2012

#19 Week 2- Develop an Outline as the Means of Organizing Your Essay- pg. 37-38

         So far in the book, the author was discussing a normal outline, or a plan of organizing your essay. Some writers use lists, others use outlines, some make the outlines after they write the essay, and some authors don't use outlines at all. But whatever you use to organize your essay, it should have a tight structure that is easy to follow, and doesn't confuse readers. The outline they are refering to in this article is called the "analytical sentence outline". This outline has an introduction (with a central idea and thesis), topic sentences that can be used in each paragraph of the body, and ending with a conclusion. The conclusion is the freest part of an outline, it can be almost anything, as long as it ends the essay.

       I wasn't sure what to think about this article. I'm one of those people that don't like outlines. When I write, I only make an outline at the very end, and only when I absolutely have to. I like to just write what comes to mind, and then organize everything after I'm finished writing. The conclusion is the freest part of an essay, I kind of agree with, but it is also one of my least favorite parts of the essay. The conclusion seems to pressure you to be the best part of the essay.

1 comment:

  1. I'm like that too. I write and organize as I'm writing or just go back and move paragraphs around, but I do kind of make some sort of outline so that I don't forget something. Thank you Kailey!

    ReplyDelete